CAT #1 Reflection

Link to unseen written analysis and feedback

After receiving feedback from my paper 1 writing, I think I managed to grasp many of the key concepts from the multimodal text however was insufficient in effectively structuring and analysing them in detail. I now understand that I should value thoroughly unpacking a few core ideas in depth more highly than trying to get every observation and inference down. As a result, going forward I will try to prioritise quality over quantity. This may take the form of adopting a clearer ‘P.E.A.’ structure (point, evidence, analysis) for each of my arguments. This would help me organise my own thoughts into more systematic paragraphs which could work through visual imagery, text, and then general discourses to make more holistic meaning. In terms of specific concepts I failed to develop, I could have talked about juxtaposition of visual imagery and text, hawker food as an expression of connectivity, and the implications of Singlish slang used such as ‘kiasu’. Although I believe I incorporated many of the key terminology and concepts from the unit (eg. collective identity, rhetoric) and even interpreted their significance, finding the underlying message that weaves them all together in a concise manner is something I will try to feed forward to my next written analysis.