CAS reflection 1- Service (LO2)

Service has always been something I look forward to, and place all my efforts into as I believe that having the opportunity to participate in such a precious role, and having the opportunity to create a small impact in the world in any way possible is so crucial and a great privilege. This year, for my local service, I chose to get involved in working with Simei Care Centre. This is a purpose-built psychiatric rehabilitation centre as it accepts people from a range of different mental disorders and offers them a place to recover. I’m the current co-chair of the service, and I can’t wait to get started in this exhilarating journey!

Why did I choose this service? 

I am very passionate towards medicine, and that’s the career path I want to embark on in the future, so I thought it was very important that I get an exposure to the community around me, and learn more about people in varying situations. Spending time with someone suffering and simply putting a smile on their face goes a long way and this service offers me an insight into the harsh reality of some of the members in the centre.

What do I hope to get out of this service? 

I hope to gain a better understanding of the patients and how to approach them using an empathetic stance. I want to be able to communicate with them efficiently and try my best to reintegrate them back into society through simple activities like baking and cooking, arts and crafts, etc. I hope to form meaningful connection with the members and assist them in any way I can.

This meets the criteria to achieve learning outcome 2- Demonstrate that challenges have been undertaken, developing new skills in the process. By participating as a chair in this service, I believe I am showing my willingness to learn about new environments and adapt accordingly. I also am going to attempt to increase my expertise in my communication with people of varying backgrounds in society and learning about their situations. Most improtantly, this service requires having resilience and a very empathetic approach as we are dealing with highly sensitive patients who may have suffered traumatic experiences, so it’s important to respect them. Therefore, being able to communicate effectively with them whilst maintaining a very respectful approach will definitely be a personal challenge.

I can’t wait to embark on this journey and connect with the members! I hope to continue to contribute all my efforts and maintain my determination throu