CAS reflection- Service (LO7)

This year, I chose to join ACE, which is a global concern, originating from JAAGO. JAAGO is an established social organization established in April 2007, based in Bangladesh. JAAGO operates with the help of its employees and work towards the betterment of people living below the poverty line. JAAGO’s mission is to create a society – free of exploitation, discrimination and violence, to enable it to reach its ultimate socioeconomic potential. To bring about substantial improvement in the lives of disadvantaged people/children with special emphasis on their education and nourishment. I joined this service because I am very passionate about ACE’s mission and the goals it intends to achieve. Additionally, I believe that the method taken to approach the situation is ethical and has good implications that align with my values. 

Learning outcome 7 outlines being able to recognise the ethical implications of actions and consider all choices carefully. ACE actively makes an effort to make ethical choices by selling products that have very limited to no detrimental impacts on the environment. We understand there are several consequences due to our choices, and the potential for illegal activities that may occur just to make our products which counteracts our purpose. Although there can be additional costs due to this consideration, we administer the costs and attempt to find a way around it as the sourcing of our products is very important to us. If our products aren’t sold due to the high prices, we show accountability and try to amend the finance in order to not incur a loss but also sell as much of our product as possible. Since I am head of finance, it’s important I closely work with the product pricing and ensure all our products are being sourced ethically to maintain authenticity within all our items. Of course, the easier approach would be to buy the cheapest product and sell it for the maximum price and return the profit back to JAAGO. Definitely, this will create a ‘feel good’ sense for us as we will feel like we have contributed a lot of money which will be helpful to the underprivileged children. However, it’s important to differentiate between the right and wrong course of action. Although we may return less money back to JAAGO, our ethical approach will be beneficial in the long term and protect JAAGO from engaging in any wrongful activities.