Dhrithika Jayanth

My Student Portfolio

IFP – Final Reflection

IFP Final Reflection – How have my perceptions on peace and conflict changed?

Before joining IFP, my understanding of conflict resolution and peace was very limited and I held the presumption that these concepts were alien or unrelated to my life. Coming from a privileged background, my perception of peace and conflict consisted mainly of images of physical conflict/war politics in other parts of the world that did not share the sort of peace I have been lucky to have in Singapore my entire life. However through IFP, I have learnt that peace and conflict, even if it does not occur right under my nose, it is important to take action.

I began my IFP journey fairly unsure about my stance on issues of conflict around the world and felt indifferent about them  because I was not certain whether I was right in my opinion. However, through being able to work collaboratively in IFP with people of so many different cultural backgrounds and with different perspectives to share, I have realised the significance and power of being informed and taking initiative accordingly. For example, the Israel-Palestine conflict is a contemporary global issue that I simply did not know a lot about prior to IFP. After learning about the issue, learning about how conflict emerged between the two sides and being able to discuss it with those who held a perspective on this issue, I felt  informed, more globally conscious and empowered to take a stance even if it is much bigger than me. This, I think, was the biggest takeaway from IFP for me: learning that I, as a youth, have the ability to make change, peace and resolve conflict in all situations in some way. Although this was initially challenging to picture, I have learnt the significance of staying informed and being open-minded in order to have the power to make change.

Seasons 3/4 – Adapting to COVID 

Being able to reflect on the cancellation of the IFP conferences due to COVID, and its impact on our actions and emotions going forth was really helpful in overcoming the temporary block of disappointment. I learnt something surprising about conflict management here, through experiencing emotions of hopelessness and sometimes anger towards the situation. Using the iceberg model, I understood that sweeping these emotions under the carpet can have adverse affects on future collaborative projects, like the in-school projects we began to plan in little groups in March. It could easily propagate conflict and poor teamwork. I learnt to become a better communicator. With every member of IFP communicating openly about their feelings, it was not only comforting and reassuring to know that I was not the only one feeling disappointed, but it allowed everyone to move past this slump and work collectively towards a solution to the issue. Thus, my learning on the importance of communication as a foundation for teamwork was once again emphasised through something so minor.

Overall, IFP has taught me that at the end of the day, I am the only one who sets myself limitations. As a grade 12 student, I now feel part of a greater whole, and have formed many new connections from people of all different cultures, beliefs and perspectives  – allowing me to build my own character and become more certain in my ability to make an impact in our world.

Next Post

Previous Post