Badminton pre-season sum up

The Goals

The pre-season prepared me well for the actual season that comes next in terms of badminton skills, collaborative ability and the competitions of ACSIS, among the international schools in Singapore. I stepped out of my comfort zone by training as a single player, though I used to play doubles. Such change was quite challenging for me as I need to adapt myself to the skills and techniques possessed by single players, which means I need to increase my reaction speed and my strength in hitting the shuttles. I have successfully achieved my goals because the coach complimented about how much I improved during the course of this season and claimed that I am now eligible for playing singles.

The Actions

I planned to attend every training on Tuesday and Thursday, with the addition of Dragons badminton club on every Sunday. I feel healthy when I play badminton and I am very happy to see my skills improving. My actions are worthwhile because they paved a smooth path for me to the upcoming competitive season. The actions were valuable to me and to others in this activity because if one’s skill improves, the whole team benefits.

The learning

I stepped out of my comfort zone in this activity because I tried things I have never tried before. I learnt about to how collaborate with my teammates because badminton is a team sports – not about individuality but about the team spirit. I learnt to take care of others, kindly ask my teammates if they are well enough to do the sport and encourage them when they are feeling stressed about upcoming competitions. We developed strong team spirit among each other and became close friends after the season. When there are matches, we cheer up and encourage each other and stay strong as a team.

I showed perseverance through my great attendance record and the effort I devote into badminton. I never give up trying to improve my skills, and I can tell visible changes from the start of the season till the end of it. I helped others show commitment by encouraging them to step out of their comfort zones.