My Language Map-Analysis

My Language Map

How did I decide what I would feature on my map?

I noted down all the factors that I thought influenced my language, such as friends, family, my environment and my cultural background, amongst other things. From there I thought about which had the biggest effects on my language, and prioritised getting those on my map, with the rest of them making it on there if I had more space. Some of the ones I prioritised include my immediate family, like my mother, father and brother, and my friends.  Further, I talked about aspects of my language like my lexicon (word choices), grammar, phonology (accent, pitch, tone etc), paralanguage (body language) and register (formality) and what affected them to ultimately become what they are currently.

Aesthetic Choices:

In the center, I wrote ‘My Language Map’ in English the biggest as it is the primary language I communicate in, and I translated it into Hindi and Spanish as they are the other two languages I am capable of communicating in. I outlines sections in purple if they came under one category, and in silver within the purple section if they are different aspects of a particular category.