Exploring My Thinking On Representation

Foreword – I missed this class. Therefore, my level of thinking and use of supporting evidence may be slightly limited, as I can only base my understanding off the Presentation

With regards to modern Art, representation tends to be highly glamorized and sometimes a little fake in nature.

Take the promotion picture for English reality TV show Love Island, for instance. The beach cladding adopted by all in the photo coupled with the playful poses and the bright, shining letters reminiscent of a Hollywood sign obviously are designed to convey the glamorous nature of the sound.

Clearly the purpose of the image is as a promotional poster, designed to lure potential viewers to the show. Perhaps the scantly clad humans in the photo are designed to cause viewers to titillate; after all, it is what excites us that causes us to want some more of something, after we have gotten a “taste”.

In reality, most of the love island contestants are just regular millenials with an above average level of attractiveness; the images in this photograph evident convey much more than that. The image is also heavily photoshopped and clearly staged. This level of fakeness imparts upon the reader a misrepresentation of the beings in the image, in an attempt to seduce us with a potentially glamorous avenue of entertainment, known as love island.