For this project, I have chosen to create an online model of a sustainable housing scheme with a net-zero energy building. I chose this firstly because as our sustainable project got canceled, I still wanted to create something around that theme because I find the future of sustainability quite interesting. We are also in the middle of a sustainable living unit in PSE so I got great motivation once I saw how much wastage is caused by our house alone. It also helped that due to Netflix binging, my Dad has a sudden great interest in architecture and has created big dreams of me designing a house for him.

Initially, I was worried about the science or lack of it with this project because while DT is technically a science, one of the larger areas of the project would revolve around design and it being one of my interest, it is something I look forward to, but not typically considered “scientific”. Although, once I had begun doing a bit of research, I discovered that there is a lot of physics that goes into manipulating space sustainability for example with natural ventilation.

The creativity and innovation aspect of this project will take place during the design period where I will innovate and improve on already existing designs using knowledge from the research phase.

My next steps are researching, and I have decided to actually research historical examples of sustainable housing as I really believe that there I will be able to get inspiration. Adding a cultural aspect to the project will also add to the value of the model. I also need to decide what kind of weather environment I will be creating for. I am leaning towards hot but whether I do a dry or wet climate, I am unsure still. In terms of hurdles, I suspect I may find difficulty in understanding natural ventilation mechanisms, but I am hopeful that I will be able to find support from my peers.