Responses to visual irony in PSA Ads, I quite liked Meiras because I really think she valued all aspects of the ad which is why I chose her as an example.

Meiras Response

The visual element of a child holding a gun next to another child holding a book is comparing a weapon to a normal everyday object. The irony is knowing that guns are not banned in America so by the process of elimination the storybook is – which the child is ultimately using to protect themselves. The text below confirms “we keep little red riding hood out of schools because of the wine bottle in her basket.” When compared to weapons, it seems foolish/nonsensical/absurd to ban a storybook for such a minor reason when guns – which are not banned, are definitely not any less child friendly. Although we know that guns are not banned, we may be surprised by the fact that a children’s storybook is, even though we know the consequences from both of them differ hugely. This comparison depicts the illogical way in which laws are formed creates frustration and confusion within the audience.

My Response
The PSA about talking on the phone while driving is ironic because the caller that isn’t driving feels the impact of a car crash instead of the person driving the car, which is to show how all parties have a responsibility. The purpose is to raise awareness on the impacts of calling while driving and the irony is used to emphasise how the caller that isn’t driving is equally responsible being why he is shown to feel the impact of a car crash.