My UWCSEA Learning Journey

writers’ fortnight #4

The fourth speaker was once again a teacher from our school, who had a very heavy story to tell us. She told a story about her grandson, who was getting treatment that he did not deserve at all from his parents, and living conditions.

The reason for grandsons life conditions were mainly due to his mother’s mental health and due to his parent’s disability to take full care of him. This story really moved me, and again reminded me of how lucky I am to have a healthy family relationship. Which could be a possible topic to discuss for my article, the importance of healthy family relationships with her son’s story as a case study. Along with this, another recurring theme was also about the importance of having a friend. In this case, her grandson did not have a friend to talk to as he was continuously transferring schools, and she believed that a potential way to make him feel better is by having a friend he can rely on a bit and talk to. Our school is a pretty accepting community, but there may be people who feel out of place socially. Writing an article to inform parents on the value of a friend, or as a way to let students know they are not alone seems like a good idea for this topic. However, it does seem a little overdone, so I thought a better and more relatable topic would be about the effects of transferring schools, especially since UWC is an international school. There are many students, including me, who have been moved world-wide due to job transfers and for a better quality education. However, I personally have never been able to give my opinion on changing schools, or have a choice whether I can stay. Allowing parents to be aware of the good and bad effects of moving students to different schools often before they decide to transfer seems like a better article idea.

In addition to this, something I noticed about the story was that the conflict was rooted from the mother’s mental health. There are many adults who suffer but do not seek for any professional help, an article explaining the drastic affects mental health has on one’s life, especially adults, may urge parents to take care of themselves more. Also, this will allow children to remember that their parents are people too, and they deserve to be treated with love and respect as adults too can have a fragile heart.

Next Post

Previous Post

1 Comment

1. kal@gapps.uwcsea.edu.sg February 3, 2020

I like the adults/parents with mental health angle…it could be very powerful to hear a student letting parents know to seek help!