Menu

CAS LO2 (Service)

May 6, 2018 - CAS

i’m writing this after 5 sessions of my new service, working with the elderly with dementia at the APEX HARMONY lounge. During these sessions, I have been able to learn a huge deal about these patients, interacting with them either through talking or specific activities we would bring to the lounge.

I think it’s important to first talk about my first session there, where to be honest I was a little scared as I have never interacted or been with anyone with dementia before. I was aware that some of them will forget things very easily, meaning they might ask the same questions over and over again. This happened on my first session, when one of the elderly I was talking kept asking me where I was from, every 30 seconds or so. In these moments, I have now learnt from my experiences that it is most important to not act surprised or tell them that they have asked that question before but rather answer them as if it’s the first time hearing the question.

Moments like these were definitely a challenge, especially since all year I have not been able to be a part of the ‘action’ part of CAS until my move to this new service as in my previous service we were fixed on the ‘planning’ stage for quite a long time. However, although it was a challenge I found it a thoroughly enjoyable experience as being able to put a smile on some of these elderly’s faces made me happy as well.