F1 Racing

For season 3 and 4, I have decided to participate in an activity called F1 Racing, which was a whole new experience for me. It is an activity where we design and create small F1 cars out of styrofoam in the Design Technology lab. I was quite nervous choosing to join in this activity as I have never done DT before, and was unsure whether I can create a model car with no prior knowledge. To my surprise, I was already loving this activity from the very first session. Though I was the only one in the activity who does not take DT, I realized that I had some advantages over others in some processes. For example, at the beginning when we had to design the model of the car, I was able to sketch quite quickly because I was used to this from taking graphics art lessons in the past two years. I was able to figure out the spaces and shapes from both sideways and above and be creative with the design.

(LO1)

Though I found some strengths within this activity, I also faced many challenges throughout the making process. At one point, I had to restart from the very beginning because I made a mistake in the design, and cut the styrofoam at places where I was not supposed to. This made me a little disappointed, but it was earlier on in the stage, and I was able to sketch the design again way more quickly than I did the first time, which allowed me to catch up to everyone else again. Another challenge I faced was from the lack of my knowledge for the materials and tools in the DT lab. Since I was the only one who does not take DT, I was unaware of where the tools are, which one to use and how. I observed my peers on what they were doing and actively asked for help, to learn more about the tools. Many of the machines/tools were new to me, and they required me to be patient as the process did not go smoothly sometimes.

(LO2)