LO2:

Towards the end of season one, we had been able to go to the first full fledged session of service where the students in our group were able to lead and execute the activity that we had planned. I was initially quite nervous as not everyone had been to the service before and not everyone had experience working with elderly. Furthermore one of the things that I generally struggled with was the language barrier, the majority of them speak Chinese and some only speak Chinese. I can speak fragmented parts of Chinese, just barely enough to communicate, however something that I need to develop is to have other methods of communication that do not necessarily involve language.

In this photo, I am teaching origami, it was effective because we did not necessarily need to communicate verbally and she was able to follow along visually. I think that it is best to approach challenges like this with an open mind, that there need not be a regimented structure to perfectly be able to handle every situation and that flexibility is key to success.

Posted in CAS