Service Executive (Service) Initial Thoughts S1

Towards the end of last year, I decided to apply for the High School Service Executive team for the 2019-2020 academic school year. I was accepted as the Vice-Chair of Service Exec.

The decision behind going for this role was comprised of two aspects – my passion for Service and taking on a responsibility that played on my current strengths and weaknesses. I knew that my strengths in organisation and leadership would be skills that I could contribute to the team. Having the ability to organise weekly agendas, materials pertaining to service and being skilled in delegating tasks were all aspects that the role encompassed.

At the same time, I was also acutely aware of my weaknesses. I knew that taking a leadership role in Service Exec would specifically challenge several weaknesses on mine. Firstly, I would be required to regularly speak in front of a large group of people. This includes at times, having to speak spontaneously and with clarity, in order to adapt well according to the needs of the group. I intentionally targeted my lack of confidence in public speaking so that I could use this opportunity not only to pursue my passion for service but also as a means for practice. Secondly, I knew that I would become a person that people came to for direction which would require me to stay on top of everything most of the time. This would prompt my ability to recognise my own productivity and efficiency, causing me to continuously reflect on how I can manage my time better. Lastly, this position demands the ability to effectively delegate tasks, a skill that I have come to realise needs more consolidation. Even though leadership and delegation seem similar, they are two distinct skills. Being able to delegate allows you to lead whilst also dividing tasks, maximising work efficiency.

As I slowly begin to step into the role and experience all aspects of what is required of me, several worries of mine still stand. I hope to be able to manage my time well so that I can serve to my greatest capability and capacity whilst continuing to maintain other aspects of my life at a high level. I’m looking forward to what this position holds for me.