CultuRama Spain (Creativity) Initial Thoughts S1

I decided to sign up for CultuRama again this year because I thoroughly enjoyed my experiences in Culturama China the previous year. By signing up for CultuRama this year, I would yet again be subjecting myself to participate in something that puts me beyond my comfort zone, challenging myself with an activity more anxiety-inducing.

This particular activity confronts an array of weaknesses. It targets my irrational stage fright, my need to improve coordination, and my ability to catch on to moves quickly. My greatest struggles lie with stage fright. Before any public performance with a receiving audience, I am an unhealthy bundle of nerves, rendering me rather incapable to think clearly. Being the centre of attention and vulnerable to public scrutiny causes my apprehension in participating in activities that would include such instances. 

Going into the audition, swarms of people were present, reaching nearly 120+ participants. This amplified the feeling of uneasiness, especially considering the added numbers of spectators for my audition performance. Prior to the audition, I had practised outside of school with friends in order to gain more confidence in each step. The audition went well and I was pleased to be accepted in CultuRama Spain.

After having our first rehearsal, I was struggling to keep up with the steps that we had achieved that day. However, playing on my strengths of being a self-manager, I watched the recording of the rehearsal which allowed me to correct my footwork and increase fluidity between each step. This was particularly useful because the dance is a partner dance, which means that fluidity and coordination between the partners are essential for improvement.

I am grateful for the fact that I will be able to yet again experience the nervous energy behind the scenes and take part in learning more about a culture different from my own. Through the experience of CultuRama, I am able to learn not only about the cultural dance of different countries, but also the see the values of a country shine through from the atmospheres created by each dance.

Snapshot from our first rehearsal

Snapshot from a Saturday rehearsal nearing the performance