U19 Girls Badminton (Activity) Final Thoughts S3 #L04

As iterated in the post that spoke about my initial thoughts coming into badminton season, I was evidently quite disheartened by how I was unable to make A team despite all my efforts. In hindsight, I see what has happened to be a very worthwhile experience. During the training sessions, I had more one-to-one time with the coach to teach me more specific skills that pertained to being a singles player. This definitely demanded more out of me both physically and mentally. Physically, I needed both the stamina and the ability to cover the full area of the court as opposed to the half I would typically cover as a double. Mentally, I needed the stability to last a whole length of the game without the usual support of a doubles partner.

Reflecting back at the end of the season, even though our season was cut short due to the impacts COVID has had on Singapore, I see myself truly being committed and persisting throughout this activity. I think the process of trying to bounce back from being really quite disappointed was a true example of persistence and commitment to the sport. I came to realise that my commitment isn’t only merely to myself and the sport but also the team as a whole. Being committed to the team involves doing what is best for the team – playing your role to the best of your ability within the team (#L04). During this season I really put in my all as a singles player despite the performance anxiety I experienced and the physical challenges I went through. Ultimately, I believe that it was challenging but gratifying at the same time. Looking forward, I will continue to work not only for myself but for the benefit of the team as a whole.

The team! U19 Girls B Team