Wayang Kulit Theatre Workshop

– Why is Wayang Kulit an important reflection of Balinese culture and society?

I think that Wayang Kulit is an important and unique representation of the Javanese people, through the telling of traditional Indian folk tales through a unique art form which requires immense precision and skill. I think that through its cultural significance and meaning, it accurately represents the Balinese culture through its detailed storytelling.

– Are all theatrical forms only effective and/or understandable within their original context?

I would disagree with this idea. I think that theatre forms can be modified and portrayed in different contexts and still be effective at communicating its intended message, whether that is synonymous to a traditional intended message. For example, my group’s take on the art form was to make a comedic representation of the Ramayana story through hyperbolised speech and movement with the puppets, which I believe was still effective, despite the original/traditional intention of the art form being altered to our context.

– What learning(s) did you take away from today’s session?

I left the lesson with a far deeper understanding of this aspect of Balinese culture, and how it ties into my general perception of Indonesia. I think I now have greater insight and respect towards the art of puppetry as I have been exposed to its meanings and forms, which can be quite difficult, which I find inspiring. I hope I can somehow use my new knowledge about shadows or puppetry to integrate into future performances that I may do.