English Mock Paper 1 Reflection + Takeaways (5/4/4/4)

Good aspects of my paper 1 that I will take forward to other pieces of analytical writing:

1. Introduction

I was happy with my introduction/first paragraph because I paid attention to answering context/audience/purpose/style and then finishing with the thesis/argument in the last line. This was effective as it helped the marker identify how I planned to set up the essay.

2. Annotation

Spent 10/15 minutes on annotation and planning, and I think this paid off when evaluating points during the essay. Get literal elements, then try link or group different elements together to form meaning, look for how to answer CAPS in the annotation.

What to work on for Paper 1:

1. Organisation of body paragraphs in advance

I need to plan my body paragraphs before writing them and pick and choose points to go in either, not each. I only had two body paragraphs on my essay which were both around 1/1.5 pages long. This is too much and messes with the organisation. Instead, look for all possible points during annotation, and then try to break down the question into (minimum) 3 body paragraphs. Also, plan points before going in and writing to avoid lack of flow or points seeming all over the place.

2. Look deeper into possible meanings

Use of context was good, keep doing that. But I need to try looking for all the possible metaphors or images or meanings created in a text before writing or during writing. You get heavily penalised for not including key ideas of the texts in the essay, so double-check that major themes are being covered in enough depth. Also, try to link points back to the thesis or TS, even though I didn’t do this badly, I need to watch out for not going off on a tangent because that impacts meaning and organisation of essay.

3. Revise language and techniques from class better

There was some inaccurate use of literary techniques in my essay, which impacted my language grade. Also learn basic punctuation, it’s is it is, its is belonging to it. Criteria D can be bumped up to a 5 if I use more sophisticated language, so look for textual/visual features during annotation and link them to techniques and then how they create meaning. Spend more time revisiting this and figuring out how to accurately identify/use certain techniques or words.