Before seeing Christina Lau we were told she had been paralyzed from the waist down and that she would paint with her mouth.

She talked about her life before the accident and in contrast, she spoke about her life after the accident.

She was a prison officer and she was very active before. The reason she is now in a wheelchair was because of the car accident that happened in Malaysia in 2005. She was told that she had a spinal cord injury and she would never be able to walk again. She became curious about mouth painting and started in 2012 and became a qualified mouth painting artist.

“If you never try you don’t know how far you can go.”

Some quotes that she had on her presentation:

If you fail never give up because FAIL stands for First attempt at learning

END=Effort Never Dies

NO=Next opportunity

I believe she is truly one of the most inspiring because although she isn’t capable of doing everything someone one who had not had the incident would she still stays very positive and optimistic about her life. Although she had a major set back in her life she still found happiness in art.

3 thoughts on “Writer’s Fortnight: Christina Lau

1. How does this connect with you and your writing? To summarize your thinking, I think the essence of this session is that Christina Lau is an inspiration and always stays positive and optimistic about her life even though she has struggled and had many challenges. I believe that the message is that you should always try to stay optimistic and positive even when an obstacle blocks your path. This could connect to your writing because when you get writer’s block or are having trouble you should persevere and keep trying.

1. I’m not really sure how her talk can connect to my writing since she spoke about painting art rather than writing. But I do agree with when you said: “This could connect to your writing because when you get writer’s block or are having trouble you should persevere and keep trying.”Thank you for your feedback.

2. To help your reader access the shifts in your thinking you could write more about how Christina Lau’s accident and her personal story about having to carry on with life has affected you. I really like how you included quotes to help show your thinking and multiple facts. By including many quotes and telling her story you help the reader understand her background and what she has been through. I think that if you add more about your opinion and perspectives on Christina Lau, not only will your writing be more powerful it will help convey your message better. You could write about what incidents made her inspiring to you?, what made her start mouth painting? or what were you expecting?