Student Voice Midpoint – Grade 12

Having finished student voice in grade 11,  I decided that I wanted to volunteer for this role again. I found student voice to be a rewarding experience in the sense that I often got to be informative to both my peers and to Mr. Scott the HOG. My goal in this sense was to be able to provide as much information to my peers as possible, and make sure that what they wanted to know I found out, and though this didn’t happen very regularly, when it did it made me feel proud / useful in a sense.

LO3: LO 3 Demonstrate how to initiate and plan a CAS experience
This year for grade 12, we began the year with a similar intent and attitude to the previous. Often we would just discuss some basic concerns and be imparted with some knowledge that might be worth sharing out to students. But something different this year was also that someone wanted to actually change something in our school, or to create something. I think that I personally agree with this sentiment, and looking into the past of what we have accomplished so far, there hasn’t been a great deal of tangible change or marks that we’ve left so far.
Thus we decided to do something, and one of the ideas that seemed feasible from our brain storming session was to see if people needed help with communication within our school/grade. I personally believe that although for the most part people do eventually become comfortable with communicating with teachers, there is also the reality that not everybody will feel that way, and especially to new members whom might feel new and intimidated by open communication etc.

LO5: Demonstrate the skills and recognise the benefits of working collaboratively
When we decided to commit to working towards this idea, although Aishu was still the main leader within the job I think that we were able to effectively use brainstorming and collaboration to not only come up with better ideas, but also to functionally execute them. Although in the past this wasn’t so much of a focus within Student Voice, I think that this was a pleasant surprise to how we could successfully develop what we needed to. What I was able to contribute to our progress was mainly in the writing and note taking form – where I tried to contribute my own perspective and ideas onto the google doc, google form or google slides (since we did all 3)

Although we are still in the midst of working on the slides – something I realised our group has lacked so far is accountability and actually following through with the commitments we have assigned/raised. For example, apparently I am actually in charge of creating a email template for a specific subject, and though I know this is a task I should be just getting done and dusted, there’s been a lack of communication and I don’t seem to have a resource/ method of finding out what role is assigned to me. – Hopefully this can be addressed and improved upon in the future!

0 comments on “Student Voice Midpoint – Grade 12Add yours →