Month 1 Community Service Post (Knit-a-thon)

LO3: planned and initiated activities

LO6: engage with issues of global importance

I’ve been appointed the chair of my focus group (yay!). I will be expected to plan and lead our main service event, the knit-a-thon. I think I will make a good chair because I have been committed to this service sing Grade 9, and have seen it evolve which has allowed me to observe areas of improvement. I have noted some of my new ideas for this service, notably improving the focus group members’ engagement, to help make it meet its potential (see second paragraph of Figure 1). I am also a compassionate person who cares for the wellbeing of others, which is one of the SDGs that our focus group aligns with (SDG 3 – Health and Wellbeing). 

I’ve already filled in the service event proposal form (see Figure 2) – which has to gain approval from Rick Hannah, the head of service. I have taken care of this by scheduling a meeting with him (see Figure 3 & 4) which was quite straightforward seeing as I am used to communicating with teachers through email. We held the same event last year for the first time, and it was considered a success. However I want to make sure more HS students attend our event this year (but perhaps if it runs too late we should market more towards boarders – just a thought). I’m nervous because I want this year’s event to show some degree of improvement from last year, so that I can prove myself to this focus group and provide our service partner, KasCare, with more knitted squares. But since I’m new to this role, I’m not quite sure how to go about making this happen. I know communication with group members, supervisors and the head of service will be vital for a successful event. For now, I’ve planned to meet with Rick Hannah after the half-term break to review our service event proposal and see if we need to make any necessary changes.

Figure 1: The speech I wrote for the chair position of my focus group
This Google spreadsheet shows that I’ve signed up for chair
Figure 2: Screenshot of the service event planning proposal document that I worked on with the Knit a Square supervisor, Theresa Werner
Loader Loading...
EAD Logo Taking too long?

Reload Reload document
| Open Open in new tab

Download

Figure 3: An email I sent to the head of service, Rick Hannah, to get our service event proposal form confirmed
Figure 4: His reply to my email