This session, we looked in more detail at why we are doing this project, discussing the benefits of trees -especially local – in Singapore. From flood management to temperature control, and biodiversity encouragement and mood lifter, I learned even more benefits than I knew before. We also looked at how to identify some common Singaporean trees, such as the Saga, Rain, Sea Almond, and Sea Apple trees.

However, I still want more evidence that it is much more than just sentiment that makes it necessary to preserve local species. As long as the ecosystem can adapt to it, and humans benefit, then I still do not see why invasive species are that wrong. Of course one can argue that it would be unfortunate that we lose native species that are a part of history, but I think the biggest point that I feel I can explore is the point that we don’t know how necessary the tree actually is. We don’t know how much of the rest of the ecosystem may rely on one particular tree species. And yet, there is the point that there we don’t need a “reason” to preserve trees, but that it’s just our obligation to let them live, as they would have without the presence of humans. I think this an important ethical question that I will continue to ponder as I continue on with this service.

After this, we started doing some serious work in the nursery. I did some leaf feeding, as well as helped break up some new dirt, removing the stones as we go. This is so that the surface area of the particles are relatively larger, and the saplings can get the nutrition they need more easily.