Service and Sustainable Development

What is “service”? What is “sustainable development”? To be honest, I don’t know.

What I do know is that Service and Sustainable Development are two sides of the same coin – Sustainable Development basically means individuals and societies living in systems that can be improved on and continued indefinitely to maintain a good quality of life for all. Sustainable Development does not mean creating the perfect global lifestyle that never changes – technology evolves and it is the nature of all environments to have flucuations, so that wouldn’t make sense. What it means is creating true human happiness that does not detriment the happiness or opportunities for happiness of future generations. Service is action in pursuit of this, usually in the form of directly helping others. 

But notice the “basically”. It took me years to grasp these concepts, but it will take me a lifetime to understand why this world and its systems are unsustainable and not maximising happiness. And it will take another to find out what a sustainable, happy world would look like. 

Isn’t that wonderful? A lifetime of learning, growing, dreaming, and connecting with the Earth. Join me on my journey.