ELP – Liza Donnelly Cartoon

• In what ways do political cartoons offer multiple perspectives on the ways in which gender roles and identities are socially and politically constructed?

I feel that political cartoons aren’t the best medium to offer multiple perspectives on any issue as almost always they are based on the artist’s perspective and bias on the issue they choose to draw about. For example, Donnelly’s cartoons are usually focused on women’s issues and they bring light to what women go through and what needs to be changed. However it only portrays the women’s perspective on the issue and doesn’t really focus on men. My chosen cartoon focuses on women being sexually assaulted around the world and it does this by showing the various responses women have, for example, “I said NO!”. These only show the women’s perspective however there are a few cases where women falsely accuse someone of harassment which causes them to lose their jobs or families. I feel the cartoon doesn’t show that side of the argument and focuses on what women go through which is still extremely valid as Donelly is a woman and could have first-hand experience of these situations.

• How, and to what extent, can humor be used to convey truth?
  • Can anything be understood without an understanding of the historical or political context?