Over the course of this season, there were a few things I was a part of:

• Timeline:
    • We needed advertising for all of the events that were coming up in the week. I was assigned the task of making a simple timeline that we could print out and display around the school since I took Graphic Art in IGCSE. (LO1) The skills weren’t hard it was just having to tap into my creative abilities. This was hard for me since I don’t see myself as a very creative person.
    • Unfortunately, we could not use the timeline I made as it was not a very good way of advertising. I instead worked with another student who is doing art currently to refine the timeline I made. (LO5) Instead of feeling offended, I took this more as a learning experience to enhance my own artistic abilities.

• Info session:
    • Our first event was the information session where we provided information and answered questions from high schoolers about the LGBTQ+ community. There was also a panel discussion by members of the community.
    • I found it interesting to hear the discussion as I got to hear what happens sort of ‘behind the scenes’ into a community which I’m not part of. The experiences shared such as stories on how people knew they are LGBTQ+ felt like they re-affirmed my belief in this commuinty. As merely an ally of the LGBTQ+ community I obviously can’t completely relate and understand what they must be going through. The panel discussion helped broaden my mind more. (LO6)
  • Movie session: 
    • For the movie session, a few of us watched short LGBTQ+ films such as ‘In a Heart Beat’. Similarly to the information session it juust helped me understand the community more and see what they need to go through. It evokes emotions of feeling sad. I felt sad as it feels unfair for the community not to be able to express themselves as they are, it’s not like they can change this part of them.
  • Pink Dot:
    • Pink Dot was a very new experience for me. I felt a bit like an outsider looking in from the outside. It was a nice experience watching people laugh and smile together. It was one of those genuine moments that many highschoolers really bonded together. For that day I just helped with setting up and clearing things as well as gather people for the pink dot photo at the plaza. Overall it was a nice view to see people actually happy from the things we’ve done in the GC. It showed that all of our hardwork paid off at the end.

One thought on “Grade 11: Focus Equality (Reflection 3) – Service”

1. What you talk about in the discussion is very interesting. Do you think others who are part of the community minded you being there? Do you think it would benefit others if they were able to do the same?