Capturing East (Previously known as Migrant Brothers): 

I joined Capturing East again this year mainly because I wanted to feel the sense of completion that most UWC students do. Earlier in the year, we had an assembly on leadership in CAS and it made me realize that I haven’t done anything that I’d be proud of. I felt that through continuing Capturing East and having a tangible product I’d feel more accomplished.

I think the most pressing concern is that we don’t have any 11th graders to take on the service and continue it for us 12th graders. At the moment we only have 10th graders who will most possibly be leaving after season 2. Due to this, we won’t have any continuity for the service. At the moment I think that only the service department can help with this as we don’t have any opportunities to market the service (apart from the actual exhibition itself)

Hopefully, we can have the exhibition around the Nov/Dec time. However, that’s dependent on the planning of the new service chair/co-chair since we’re handing over our leadership positions to them. It’s nice to have a new set of people join since most of us are not as optimistic as them. I think that the 10th graders will be able to give us a new insight as well which can be beneficial to the exhibition. 

Overall, I’m feeling more optimistic about the service and I’m looking forward to the exhibition.

(LO3, LO4, LO5)

AMGD (Anime, Manga, Games & Japanese Culture):

I joined this club mostly for nostalgia reasons. I used to be into Anime and Manga quite a lot from 2012 to 2016. After the first session, their passion for these topics really made me feel like I was in my past. I think this sort of club is nice for just relaxing and forgetting about the IB for a while.

I also wanted to learn about Japanese Culture more. In general, I’m quite interested in different cultures as cultures influence our mindset and behavior. For example, an interesting case study we learned in Psychology class was about Hikikomoris. They are Japanese people (typically young men) that have been exposed to both Japanese and Western cultures but can’t fit into either. Due to this, they shut themselves in their houses. I found this interesting as I haven’t heard of this in any other culture.

And so, I thought that joining this club it would be fun as I can link my previous hobby with my current interests. This almost reminds me of Focus Equality as I’m learning about a culture that I’m not a part of.

(I’m not sure which part of CAS this club falls under but I kept it just in case)