LO6: Global engagement

I’m a part of BIA because I am passionate about gender equality and female empowerment. I wanted to be part of a group that emphasised education and understanding in our own community. Gender equality is an increasingly prevalent issue in our time, and I believe that tackling it in the scope of our school environment by challenging gender norms is a valuable learning experience. As chair,  I have learnt a lot in terms of communication and time management, and believe I will only continue to grow in this leadership position. So far, our sessions have been discussion-based with the intention of exploring issues related to gender and women’s rights. As chair of BIA, I planned the activities during our weekly sessions to ease the group into thinking about these issues. We started the year with broader questions to provoke thinking and discussion, before focussing our attention on specific global issues of women’s rights. Thus, through the collation of resources and the discussion of news events, we are engaging in issues of global significance. Later this year, we plan to take this thinking into organizing events for Human Rights Day and International Women’s Day.