Writers Fortnight – Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson; The Steve Dawson talk really surprised me, because coming into the talk, I expected him to just talk about News presenting and maybe some things about the TV industry. His talk really went in-depth about the personal side and aspect of his job and how it made such an impact on his life, having met so many great and inspiring people. He also made a lot of sense when he talked about the common misconceptions about the industry he works in and how different his job as a journalist/interviewer is compared to how people think it is (including myself). I think my biggest take-away from his talk was the 5 points for a great interview – which leads well into seeing other speakers – which I really wasn’t expecting, but I found them really helpful and interesting, especially when he gave real life experiences as examples to back up his points, the biggest and most impactful to me, was his story about Muhammad Ali, because Ali was his role-model his whole life, and getting to write a story for others to read inspired him even more.

One thought on “Writers Fortnight – Steve Dawson

1. I like the way you describe the changes to your thinking which is different from what you expected. You thought he’d just come and talk about his career in the News industry which was what I expected but actually he has more to tell that is really interesting and there’s a lot to learn from him. I also found his 5 ways to interview someone interesting.