Gpers: Opposing Perspectives in World Events essay

This is My Gpers Task 2 essay, which is about comparing global perspectives, local perspectives and our own personal perspectives on a world event, taken from an article.

Global Perspectives: Opposing Perspectives in World Events

Connor Postlethwaite G9

18th January 2018 – Mrs. Gonzalez

Word Count: 1238

In December of 2017, Donald Trump had set ban for all Refugees attempting to enter America, sent through to United States district Judge James Robart, who decided that refugees coming into America must be checked and have a “Bona fide Relationship to a person or entity within the United States” (Jewish Telegraphic Agency). One of -the many families affected by the ban have spoken up, telling their story of how the ban has separated their family and left their children distraught. A young girl stuck in Yemen, her family seperated from her father, has been questioning her mother for years upon years; “When are we going to daddy?” (Levin). After being hit with waves of backlash, Trump’s administration has put a hold on the ban, but it leaves many of us divided between what we believe is ‘right’ and ‘wrong’.

As there are always two sides to every argument, the first is President Donald Trump. He believes that banning refugees and causing great pain and suffering among them is the ‘right’ action to take. Many believe that the ban is fueled by Trump’s feelings toward the Muslim Religion, and this could be correct, seeing that 9 out of the 11 countries banned from sending refugees into America are predominantly Muslim. Trump has been attempting this travel ban ever since elected President, every attempt failing after backlash, but still leaving sadness and grieving in its path.

Thinking about the Ethics side of things, Trump would probably fall into the Absolutist Category, but not an ethical one. Taking into account his multiple words and actions in the past and present, it seems that he thinks instead of using a culture’s norms or ethics to determine right or wrong, which would be an ethical relativist, he believes that his own views are more valuable than others, and that his beliefs should be followed as the norms.

In this case specifically, the Ideology spectrum aspect plays a big role, especially with Trump. Trump would most likely fall into the Authoritarianism category and toward the political right. Trump would rather have absolute control, no matter if it means force must be taken into action. Thankfully, there are laws and basic ethics set in place such as voting, to stop people like Trump taking actions that he feels is ‘right’. Because the refugee ban received so much backlash, Trump’s administration had to rethink their actions and have currently put a hold on the ban.

The second side to this controversial argument, is that of Gamila Almansoob. Gamila is a young Yemeni girl left distraught after Trump’s refugee ban was put into action. Gamila’s father, Ramy Almansoob, moved to the US in 2015, becoming a US citizen in hopes his family could soon live together with him. Their Visas to enter the US were finally accepted on December 4th, 2017 (Levin), the same day Trump’s refugee ban was set in place on multiple Muslim countries including Yemen, by the US supreme court. Gamila was left crying, confused as to why she couldn’t see her father.

Looking at the Ethical Belief system, Gamila and her family would fall into being Ethical Absolutists, as they believe that there are moral and ethical principles that are applicable to every choice and situation. In this case, Gamila and her family want happiness for all people, mainly those affected by the refugee ban, and especially children. Gamila’s father, Ramy Almansoob stated in backlash; “These Children are not dangerous. If you want to make America great again, it starts with the children” (Levin).

Turning to the Ideology spectrum side of things, Gamila and her family  would probably fall into political left Libertarianism side as they show many signs of believing people should be the judge of their own lives and should be able to freely do whatever they want as long as it follows laws and basic ethics. They wish others with the same ability to do as they wish, but the Almansoob family among many others wants to do it as a family, except the ban has set them apart. Being political left, means that Gamila’s family believes in equality and fairness among all people, no matter the race, religion, gender, etc.

When a huge, world impacting event occurs, especially like the refugee ban, many people will see it across the world. In this case, I looked at President Donald Trump as the Local Perspective, Gamila Almansoob as the Global Perspective, and now, my personal perspective. Looking at this event, and taking into account both sides of the argument, I think that I would follow the side of Gamila’s family and the thousands more affected. This would obviously be the universal ethical choice, and the right one as well. I have always believed that you should judge people based off of their actions and words, and being taught that years after years since a young age after coming to UWC has greatly influenced that. Another huge influence is my parents, who have taught me all about ethics and morally right decisions, and I still follow them till today.

If I were to place myself along the Ethical Belief system, I think I would put myself as an Ethical Absolutist. I believe that no matter what society or culture you are in, there are morals and principles everyone must follow anywhere, and at any time. In my opinion, I think that Trump doesn’t really follow many ethical principles, and would rather everyone followed his rules, yet Gamila and her family believe the opposite, but want Trump to feel empathy for those he has affected without batting an eye. Growing up I always had my family close-by, never being separated from them, but to be seperated from them at such a young age like Gamila and her sisters would have destroyed me with sadness and confusion.

Turning to Ideology, on the Ideology spectrum I feel like I would fall into the Center-left Moderate Social Libertarian, and I know this from taking the quiz, the results seen toward the left. Like Gamila’s family, I believe that we have the right to decide what we do we our lives, and that includes where we live and what we do. The Almansoob family like many others didn’t harm anyone or anything, yet through Trump’s generalizing, aren’t allowed to be a family together. Being a libertarian, I want to be the absolute owner of my own life, and that also goes for everyone else. If Trump doesn’t like muslims, why?, but fine, as long as he doesn’t affect them negatively or misuse his power to do bad against them, except he has done it. If the Almansoob family want to live in America and haven’t done anything bad enough to not be allowed into America, then they deserve to be a family there.

On any truly important event, the world will see it, and globally people will make their judgement about it. In this case, I think it’s safe to say with the backlash that occured, most people stand on the the side of the thousands of families affected by one law being put into action. Trump and his administration had definitely made the wrong choice, basing a law off of generalizations and a personal perspective, not thinking about the local or global ones. Although the ban has been put on hold, it leaves us asking; just how long will it be put off for?

Bibliography:

Jta. “Judge Partially Lifts Trump Refugee Ban After Jewish Groups’ Challenge.” The Forward. JTA, 26 Dec. 2017. Web. 07 Jan. 2018.

https://forward.com/fast-forward/390778/judge-partially-lifts-trump-refugee-ban-after-jewish-groups-challenge/

Levin, Sam. “Tears, Despair and Shattered Hopes: the Families Torn Apart by Trump’s Travel Ban.” The Guardian, Guardian News and Media, 8 Jan. 2018, www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/08/trump-travel-ban-families-affected-first-month.

Bier, David. “Muslim Ban? Fewer Muslim Refugees, Immigrants, and Travelers Enter U.S. in 2017.” Cato Institute, 12 Dec. 2017, www.cato.org/blog/muslim-ban-fewer-muslim-refugees-immigrants-travelers-enter-us-2017-0.

https://www.cato.org/blog/muslim-ban-fewer-muslim-refugees-immigrants-travelers-enter-us-2017-0

Board, Editorial. “Trump’s Travel Ban Is Still Indefensible.” The Washington Post, WP Company, 3 Jan. 2018, www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trumps-travel-ban-is-still-indefensible/2018/01/03/d1296ac0-f0a5-11e7-97bf-bba379b809ab_story.html?utm_term=.f978d70b7f3a.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trumps-travel-ban-is-still-indefensible/2018/01/03/d1296ac0-f0a5-11e7-97bf-bba379b809ab_story.html?utm_term=.f978d70b7f3a

“Chart: Trump Travel Ban Targeting Muslim Nations Makes Its Mark.” Bloomberg.com, Bloomberg, 4 Jan. 2018, www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-04/trump-travel-ban-targeting-muslim-nations-makes-its-mark-chart.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-04/trump-travel-ban-targeting-muslim-nations-makes-its-mark-chart