EA Meeting #6: Wahida Majumdar

Mrs Majumdar is a Muslim woman working at the Taurus Mutual Fund in New Delhi, India. She attended a Muslim school in her youth and is well educated on Sharia law and the Quran’s beliefs. Mrs Majumdar was the first woman I interviewed for the project and therefore I was very excited to understand what her viewpoint might be on the issue in India.

Her viewpoint was extremely interesting. Like many other of my conversations, Mrs Majumdar believed that the current situation in India is wrong and is a misconception of what Talaq really is. She believed that these misconceptions are created because there is not enough knowledge surrounding the true form of separation which gives life to these misconceptions, which as Mrs Majumdar stated, occurred most frequently in the lower classes of society. She is against this form of Talaq because it gives men too much power in the relationship creating a power dynamic between the man and the woman. She believes that the Quran teaches equality and harmony between the couple, however, the current situation in India as well as around the world shows a male-dominated society, which men in India are able to use to their advantage by creating such misconceptions about Talaq “law”.

Like my other interviews, Mrs Majumdar stated that the Quran taught a form of Talaq is to give it in between periods, usually between the menstruation cycle. This gives time for the couple to reconsider their decision, one which is often made in the heat of the moment.

0 comments