Design Challenge 1

Pets are not used to having their owners around the house so much. Some pets might love it but others can feel unsettled.

Design a way to keep pets entertained and distracted while their owners work from home.

I decided to approach this design challenge from the viewpoint of a cat. Cats sleep for the majority of the day, however, from my own experience of having a cat, I know that they also enjoy jumping around and being in high ground. So I designed this cat house as a multifunctioning product where the cat could hypothetically stay entertained all day. There are multiple places the cat could sleep, in darkness or in light. I wanted the product to seem like an obstacle course of some kind for the cat with the bridges and the steep ladders. The poles holding the product up would be made of rope so the cat can scratch on it as well. I wanted the product to be large enough for the cat to stay entertained yet not take up too much space in the owner’s house so I designed it vertically which also suits the cats as they enjoy being on high ground.