My UWCSEA Learning Journey

Ella Rokic

Personal Statement

Grade 9 wasn’t as scary as all the grade 10’s I know said it would be. They said it was a huge step up from grade 8 and that they had massive amounts of homework. Also, the fact that we would be having our first exams were scary enough. But in reality grade 9 was not that hard and scary as it was made out. We had a little more homework than middle school but not mountains, and the actual work wasn’t too hard to keep up with. My first year of high school was really fun but now I’m glad to have a holiday.

We had our first ever exams this year. From everything I’ve heard from friends in higher grades, I was petrified. But it wasn’t that hard the actual content of the exams. The only thing that wasn’t great about exams was the environment. The massive clock and the invigilators walking past was really stressing. But overall I think that I prepared well for the exams and am proud of the results I have.

This year I joined a new team sport which was volleyball. In PE I always really liked volleyball even though I wasn’t the best at it but I decided to try out for the team. I was really surprised to make it in since I haven’t played volleyball before. I made the C team and it was really fun. The team wasn’t too serious and competitive about winning so playing with them wasn’t scary or intimidating. We ended up coming in 3rd or 2nd place (i don’t remember), but overall we grew as a team and played really well together.

Camp was a definite highlight of the year. I went to Nepal to go kayaking in white water. This was one of the scariest trips I’ve ever taken. But I wanted to go down every rapid and not go on the raft and I did it!. It has been my favourite trip so far. I really liked how the group was pretty small so we all got to know each other really well. We camped basically out in the open the whole time so sometimes it was hard to sleep but the cold water always woke me up. I’m so glad I stepped out of my comfort zone to try everything, and it was the best thing I’ve decided to do this year.

This year has been very different from middle school. But it has gone so fast and it has been hard to not enjoy. I’m looking forward to grade 10 and to finally finish IGCSE. Next year I hope to join the volleyball team hopefully and to focus more on Chinese as that has been a struggle for me. I would like to join the same service I did as last year because we are the wasters was really fun and creative. Bye

rokic58888@gapps.uwcsea.edu.sg • June 11, 2019

Previous Post

Next Post