My UWCSEA Learning Journey

Ella Rokic

1

What Songs Matter to You Now?

What is your favourite song right now? Was it included in the 25 songs list? How did you first hear that song? Did someone share it with you or is it from an artist you follow? What do you love about the song? Are there certain lyrics that you find powerful or moving? Is there something about the beat that you like dancing to?

One of my favourite songs of all time is Spaceman by The Killers. It wasn’t included in the 25 sing list, its a song by the killers that isn’t very well known compared to their other tracks.

I really like this song because the meaning behind it is very interesting and unique. It’s about this person who attempted to overdose but was taken to the hospital before they could take their own life. But they thought they were being abducted by aliens while in the hospital. It’s a weird concept for a song and that’s why I think it stood out to me.

“‘Cause they’re calling me by my name
And they’re zipping white light beams
Disregarding bombs and satellites”
I like this line because it’s almost comical. The person doesn’t understand how the ‘aliens’ know their name. As the doctors are shining light into their eyes they mistaken them for satellites and beams showing just how confused they are. Also its a really fun line to sing.

This song is very upbeat for how depressing it actually is. But it fits it really well as there are lots of synths which give it the ‘outer space’ vibe.

rokic58888@gapps.uwcsea.edu.sg • April 16, 2020

Previous Post

Next Post

Comments

1. Catherine Adamson April 21, 2020 - 4:17 am Reply

I enjoyed reading this Ella – a thoughtful response!