Initial Thoughts on CAS

Learning Outcomes: LO4 – Show commitment to and perseverance in CAS experiences. Students can articulate the stages from conceiving an idea to executing a plan for a CAS experience or series of CAS experiences.

My biggest worry before the CAS assembly was that afterwards, I would think of CAS as a huge burden, something that takes time away from studying and working towards my academic goals, rather than adds to the entirety of the IB experience. I was worried that the same, “I’m only doing this because I have to,” attitude towards service that engulfed many of my peers would infect me as well, and my attitude towards CAS would be tainted. Fortunately, I have come away from the multiple gruelling hours of assemblies more informed and, surprisingly, filled with excitement and topped with a little motivation. I am very glad that a few of last years grade 11 students were given the opportunity to talk to us about their experiences; I feel that, although the advice was often quite repetitive, with slight reiterations from person to person, the tone with which they told us about their Project Week and CAS journies created a feeling that we could truly use this to have a positive impact.

Seeing as I was quite excited already, I began thinking of how I would fulfil the CAS requirements. I understood that I already met the requirements for the Activities portion of CAS considering I am doing pre-season rugby, I will most likely join the team, and I play in multiple rugby clubs outside of school – all of which I will be continuing for both 11th and 12th grade. For Creativity, I have already made a start by applying to audition for The Royal Hunt of The Sun high school production…hopefully I get in. My dilemma was and still is, with Service. I knew that I want to lead a service I initiate, so I began brainstorming. The first thing that came to mind was setting up a time, either after school or during(in one of my free blocks), where I could go down to the kindergarten block and read to some of the children, with the intent of helping them learn English. I shared my idea with two students in my mentor class and we all became quite excited. Unfortunately, during the Service Expo, we learned that there was already a service which did something similar. Now, my idea has evolved, and I think that instead of going down to kindergarten, I could join one of the elementary EAL classes and assist with teaching students English. Understandably, I have to polish this idea, which I will be doing by talking to members of the school service office and getting their opinions on it.