Transition Process and Reflection

As the grade 10s entered their last semester, we needed to start making choices about our IB course selection. Even before the school introduced me into the transition program, I was quite worried and confused about which subjects I should do next year because every IB student that I’ve talked to seemed to feel the program arduous.

However, the transition program made me explore more about IB by meeting many different students, teachers, and alumni who have been or had been through the IB through such events as the G11s visit, Alumni careers talk.
Talking to the people who are in the process of pursuing their passion made me realize how important it is to choose the course that I really am passionate about.

Therefore, when I got to choose my course, I tried to think of the subjects that I enjoy the most, and this came out to be maths and chemistry.

Then I looked up for some university websites that I am aspiring to go to; NUS, Yonsei, Korea, Imperial, and others.

With chem and maths, I found out that I can pursue chemistry or chemical engineering.

And to widen my career path, I chose to take biology as it also lays a path in biomedical engineering.

For my standard level, I chose to take Korean A, English A, and Economics.

Even though these are the things that I am mostly interested in, I am quite terrified of my choices too because everyone says that my HL choice is one of the hardest choices among the IB. To add more, I did not take GCSE so I thought that may take as a disadvantage as I do not have the basic knowledge about those subjects.

However, to achieve my goal and to pursue my interest, I believe this will be the most sensible choice for me. Also, whether I took a GCSE level or not, the IB diploma will be hard for me in both ways.

Therefore, so as to adapt to the IB diploma well, I think I should work on my time management skills as every grade 11s say that time managing skill is the most important skill to obtain within IB. 🙂