Creativity- Art Class- Reflection #1

Outside of class, I have been doing art classes at an institution known as “Little Artists”, weekly for around 7 years. I had taken IGCSE Art and they had helped me prepare for the exam. As of now, I have been preparing a portfolio that can be used in the university application process. This portfolio has a wide variety of artwork that I have been doing for the past month, since school has begun.

I think this class has so far been helping me focus on LO2- undertaking new challenges and developing new skills. Although I have been doing art for many years, there is always something new to learn and there is always room for improvement. I have undertaken many different challenges, for example, trying a new medium. My comfort zone has always been painting in acrylic, as that is the style that I have been training in for the majority of my time at the art classes. I stepped out of my comfort zone, by trying out different types of paint medium for example oil paint and watercolour (some examples are attached below). So far, I have only had around 4-5 classes since school has begun, and I have already completed two projects.

In the following piece of artwork, I have not only undertaken challenges, but this has also helped me develop new skills and practice new techniques. An example of a piece of artwork I have finished is attached below. This piece of work was new for me because I tried to replicate the reference picture I was using and copy it exactly how it on the paper. As mentioned in my reflection, creativity is one of my strengths and I often try to add a twist to the reference picture. However, I wanted to work on my weaknesses, which were to copy exactly what I see. This was a challenge because it was technically very difficult, the skills needed were very different from my current skillset, and it was overall a challenge. however, it also helped me develop the skills necessary to broaden my art experience and skillset.

My main goals for this activity would be to continue pushing myself to the limits and to be able to see what I can achieve. I would also like to reflect on this LO after the 2 seasons of CAS, to see how my mindset towards challenges and obstacles has changed.

#LO2.