Creativity- Pottery- Reflection #2

This is my second reflection for pottery, around halfway through the season. Pottery has been a very engaging and interesting activity, that I have been very interested in and I have quite enjoyed. It is an outlet to release a lot of stress, and it’s 90 mins every week where I can just do something that I enjoy doing.

LO2 is about undertaking challenges and developing new skills. As I have said before, pottery was something new that I had actually never tried before and was super excited to try because it was something artsy and creative, in which I could use my hands. Obviously, through the course of it, I have developed lots of new practical skills for the technique of making clay products, but I have also learnt a lot about perseverance and commitment, which I’ll go more into detail in LO4. Pottery is slightly easier to measure my improvement in, as you can see the physical results of my work. I think one of the difficult parts of pottery is that it is only around 1hr15 mins a week, and we don’t have that many sessions, therefore it can be very hard to get many pieces of work actually made during the duration of the activity.

LO4 is about showing perseverance and being resilient/committing to something. The first project that I undertook in my pottery session was making hexagon tiles for my room. My first tile was too thin, and it broke when it was put into the kiln. This was obviously quite devastating, because it took a lot of time to make it and it was almost like all my hard work went down the drain because I was unable to salvage the first tile. After this, I understood what I did wrong and made sure not to repeat the mistake again. However, my second tile also broke. Instead of just throwing it away, I tried to work around that and decided to attach the pieces of the tile together using gold foil so that it would represent a style of Japanese art. Although this wasn’t the initial thing I wanted it was what I had to go through with. It was very important to make sure that I learnt from my mistake, instead of just messing up and then discarding a piece and making the same mistake again.

I am quite excited to see what else I can make during my sessions 🙂

#LO2 #LO4