Medea feedback and reflection

While studying Medea, I initially thought a lot of the interpretation was very surface level, meaning that it was all very obvious bits of detail, with obvious and clear connotations. However, as we looked not only at the National theatre version,  but also the ‘original’ text, it made me think a lot more about how I could draw links between both pieces of work, and how I could analyse them in more depth. After watching the play, it helped me think a lot about the physicality, and also the adaptation of it due to the fact that the NT had put a more modern spin on the text. It also allowed me to better connect the ideas of the play with the global issues, I specifically chose to look at gender inequality. My thinking process transformed, because I learned to not only look at what the obvious pieces of information may be, but also digging past that surface level and still finding a way to connect back to the global issue.

I think some feedback for things I could work on next time, would be specifically trying to connect my interpretations and linking them to quotations. Although, I had a few quotations in this piece of writing, I think I could have strengthened it had I connected and linked it back to the actual evidence from the NT version. I also think I can work a bit more on how I phrase certain things, because sometimes if I write it in a certain way, it could be considered that I am saying something else. In order to improve on this,  I think the best way to do this would be by planning well before I do the actual writing. Whether this is writing out specific topic statements, or even just having a bank of terminology to choose from, as well as picking out specific quotations, I think it will benefit me largely in the long run.

Overall, I think I took a lot from the study of Medea, as well as the actual text/play itself. Medea was considered to be this “other”, regardless of whether it was as a woman, daughter, child, wife or any role she played throughout, she was considered to be different, not necessarily in a good way either. Overall, this was an opportunity to explore different global issues and connect them back to different areas of study in english.