January 6

Wavelengths

Orchestra Jazzband

LO 1 Identifying own strengths and develop areas for personal growth

LO 2 Demonstrate that challenges have been undertaken, developing new skills in the process

LO 5 Demonstrate the skills and recognise the benefits of working collaboratively

On the 12th of December, I had the opportunity to be part of wavelengths, our school’s music concert. This concert was the culmination of all of the work I had been doing as part of both orchestra and Jazz band over seasons 1 and 2. I was very lucky to be a part of 2 very different ensembles, working with so many people on a variety of styles of music. In preparation for our orchestra performance, we did our dress rehearsal for the primary school in “An afternoon with the Orchestra”. We performed to the primary school and demonstrated all of the instruments that make up the orchestra for them.

• Name five things that stuck in your mind about the experience
  1. During one of the Jazz band pieces,  I performed a solo. This was a big challenge for me to perform in front of the school but I had practised it in rehearsals before until I felt confident. I have never had a solo as part of an ensemble that large before and was really proud of being chosen to perform.
  2. I enjoyed playing to Primary school students the day before because we got the chance to answer their questions about our instruments and let them try to play them.
  3. The other soloist in Jazz band, particularly the ones who had to improvise their solos really impressed me. I enjoyed listening to different people each week play solos in pieces and even had a go at improvising on the spot myself one week. Jazz band is a new ensemble for me that I have only joined this year, I have really enjoyed meeting and playing with so many different talented musicians and trying my hand at different styles of music.
  4. This year I have the role of “first flute”. This means I have more responsibility by making sure the flute section our playing together; are properly tuned and I have to make sure I am counting correctly to help us come in at the right places – especially with new pieces.
  5. The final performance of Orchestra at wavelengths was a real highlight of the year for me. Orchestra is a very large ensemble, so often when we practise pieces we have to split into sections to get more done. Therefore when the piece is put together with so many people working together to play a fairly complicated piece, it is really impressive.

Overall, I am so glad I have continued to be a part of orchestra this year as well as joining a Jazz Band. As Music is one of my IB choices, I think it is important for me to get involved in the department as much as I can and I really enjoy playing with different people. Being a part of these two ensembles has also improved my skills as a flautist greatly and increased my love of music.

Posted January 6, 2019 by sharr84788@gapps.uwcsea.edu.sg in category CAS, Creativity