C EL I NE S H IN

HS Symphony Orchestra – Season 1&2

HS Symphony Orchestra is an activity that allows us to develop our instrumental skills and ensemble performance practices. We consist of musicians who play in various sections of the orchestra, including strings, woodwind, brass, and percussion.

I have been in the MS Symphony Orchestra since Grade 6, and have been a part of the HS Symphony Orchestra for the past 2 years. Being able to participate in this activity this year does put me in a comfortable position as I am very familiar with the members as well as the structure of the orchestra. However, our first meet-up gave me a new insight to this activity. There have been modifications to the rules regarding punctuality and organization, which I have realized are adjustments in response to last year’s experience. Additionally, as a student in Grade 11, I feel that I now have a new role to take in this activity. The responsibility that I must take is evidently greater, not only because of the past few years of experience, but also because I am expected to set a good example of a hardworking and committed musician for the students in the grades below me. I should invest more time practicing the flute compared to last year to make a significant improvement for every session.

Music wise, our teachers have proposed orchestral pieces, that not only cover diverse kinds of music, but also those that strengthen our musical abilities such as practice of instruments and sight-reading.

Previous Post