Modern Versions of Old Stories – The Story of the Mosquito

While beginning to read the story, I immediately detected a major difference between the way this story was written and how fairy tales usually are; this story clearly states that it is in fact a fairy tale – that it is a magical story, and even though the characters have unfamiliar names, they lead lives that exist for no other purpose than to teach us things, just like any other magical character.

A modern retelling of an old Vietnamese tale, the story of the mosquito teaches us to let go of the past. Life takes a natural order and we should not try to force things beyond their natural end.

What i found interesting was the way was the tone in which the author retold it. It was very informal and seemed more like a conversation than a story. I think this made the story more relatable in a sense – something a reader could better understand and absorb, take seriously rather than dismiss it as a bedtime story.

One Reply to “Modern Versions of Old Stories – The Story of the Mosquito”

1. Srishti, I’m going to caution you about relying on the word “relatable” to explain things –it’s so subjective that it doesn’t really mean much.

This is just a start of a big thought (or what could be a big thought), but to me, the most interesting part is when you start unspooling the implications of this “conversational” voice and how it establishes a relationship with the reader —can you identify the tricks that create this assumed intimacy? did it make you aware of a formality in traditional fairy tales? or the opposite: aware of fairy tale/folk tale origins in the oral story?