“You May Want to Marry My Husband” – Modern Love

When they consider all the Modern Love essays you’ve read, written by different people, how do the essays seem to converge (come together, share similarities —in STYLE, not subject matter) or diverge (go different directions from similar starting points)? 

After reading several modern love personal essays and watching several adapted television episodes, I figured the series of Modern Love seems to converge as stories always convey certain meaning to the audience and the stories all resonate with the audience to some extent. For example, When Cupid Was a Prying Journalist conveys the message of not giving up your love even if you missed it (open to different interpretations), whereas You May Want to Marry My Husband conveys a sense of the author’s perseverance to love, it also creates a sense of sympathy.

On the other hand, this series diverges as each personal essay describes a different life scenario. It is what’s different between each story in Modern Love but this characteristic also defines the series, because different experiences can cause authors to express different emotions.

Watch Modern Love - Season 1 | Prime Video

(Image source: https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Love-Season-1/dp/B07VKRJNQH)

2 thoughts on ““You May Want to Marry My Husband” – Modern Love

1. I don’t know what you thought of the “You May Want to Marry my Husband” essay, but I thought it was devastating . . . it definitely diverges from the “how do you meet someone” aspect we’ve looked at so far . . .

1. I definitely agree.
      “You May Want to Marry My Husband” is similar to other Modern Love stories as they all include many “fragments of life”, so to speak.
      But it surely diverges from other stories in which it does not “teach” the audience how to meet your loved ones but how to spend and enjoy the days with them. The story itself is more of the author’s own emotional expression, paralleled with narration.
      Thanks for the comment.