LO2 & LO 4

On Saturday 28 September, UWCSEA East hosted a tournament where SAIS, Tanglin Trust School, Dulwich and Dover visited our school and took part in a football tournament. I felt quite excited to play as I enjoy playing football, and I was trying to focus on my excitement because this tournament was also considered tryouts for SEASAC for our team. Our first game was a success with a final score of 1-1, as last time we played Tanglin, we lost 4-0. I expressed a lot of collaboration and communication, as I play right wing and thus I have to observe our team’s spacing as well as how the other team is attacking. I think my communication was my biggest strength that day, as although I am still improving in terms of my football skills, I was able to help my team work better together by informing them about the spaces available and whether the other team member was running to attack them from behind (calling out “man-on”).

Some challenges within my group was being confident enough to shoot if we’re in the right position to shoot. We have 3 very skilled and strong players who have been playing football for quite a while now, and often time we tend to pass to them instead of trying to shoot at a better position. A personal challenge was staying resilient in terms of my own thoughts, in terms of keeping up my self confidence – I can get caught up in my own thoughts that I’m not good enough and that I’m letting the team down. I am aware that it’s important to keep up my self-confidence as if I let those thoughts get the best of me, it would be more difficult for me to give my all.

We all have a role in our football positions, and we all work on playing strategically to get past the opposite team’s defenders. I was able to develop my strategies as a right wing player through advices from my coaches. I also think it’s really important to get more playing experiences to improve, as well as getting used to working with each other as a team. But because we have been playing for half a season now, we’ve gotten more comfortable with each other and being aware of each player’s strength. I noticed a lot of support from everyone this tournament, and I think it mainly had to do with the fact that we’ve gotten a little more comfortable with each other.

I’m quite proud with my performance that day, as I persevered and gave my very best. Although I didn’t make it to SEASAC, I am still grateful to be in the A team, and grateful for having the opportunity to train with them as I can see my skills improving and learning a lot more about my positions. I aim to score at least once by the end of october as we have at least 2 more matches. I will do this by building up my self confidence and calling for the ball when I’m in an open space, and just trying my best.

ips-1959B3E3-0BB1-42A6-9990-A5260A7BF265

Posted in CAS