Initial Reflection

My EE is on the impact of natural preservatives on inhibiting fungal growth in pickles. In my grandmother’s house pickles are homemade and specific natural preservatives used prevent spoilage, and I found this fascinating as daily homemade foods became long lasting. To begin my research, I conducted a pilot study that helped me determine the effectiveness of salt, vinegar and mustard oil as preservatives. As this was my first time in the lab, I faced several challenges before and during. I discovered that growing mould on ready made breads is hard due to the preservatives put in them, and I had to make fresh bread at home. In the lab I quickly learnt the best way to arrange my space. Now I am planning another pilot that will help me establish the best way to spread the fungus to avoid inconsistencies, and develop a method that more clearly depicts a diameter of inhibition.

One thought on “Initial Reflection

1. Thanks for posting your reflection.

Are you on track to have your 1000 words submitted for 18 May 2018? Will you be meeting with your supervisor again between now and then?

In future, please place the word count of your reflection in brackets at the end of your paragraph.

Do let me or your supervisor know if you have any questions.

Good luck!

Queen EE