SERVICE

PCF 858 Storytelling and PCF 140 Music and Movement

In PCF 858 storytelling, we work closely with our partner, PCF 858 Sparkletots Kindergarten, to support children from lower socioeconomic backgrounds by reading stories, and creating engaging activities related to their school curriculum. Similarly, PCF 140 aims to work with children from the sparkle-tots kindergarten with a closer focus on music and movement. Although storytelling is included, we focus more on catering to their academic needs through arts and crafts activities, instruments, singing and dancing.

Grade 11- Grade 12 (co-chair of PCF 858)

Grade 12 August-October (Chair of PCF140)

REFLECTION 1:

n interactive storytelling with PCF 858, we have continued to work with the kids over the last few months. Since February, I have been assigned Vice-chair of PCF 858. This role has enabled me to help other students in my service with planning and organising of different activities that will be carried out during the zoom session. This includes drawing, singing, dancing, and other activities that relate to the book that is being read. Through this leadership role, I have learnt the importance of communication between different groups and collaboration with my other team members. There have been numerous times when Zoom has prevented our communication to be effective, due to internet issues or microphone problems. COVID 19 still continues to be a challenge we are all facing. The main challenge is that the kids get distracted easily and do not engage as well as they usually would during a real-life face-to-face session. This has pushed me as vice chair to think of more creative activities to keep them interested and actively participating. We try to read different books per session and a lot of thought goes into which book we choose. I consider whether the book is appropriate for their age group, whether the language is too sophisticated, and most importantly if the book depicts a meaningful message that the children can take away after the session and apply to the real world. For example, in todays session, we read a book about responsibility and being truthful, a message that is important to be engraved in their values from a young age.

Moving forward, I hope I can continue to take an active leadership role in assisting my group members in carrying out a successful session with the children, and ensure that communication is clear with our service partner despite the challenges COVID-19 brings us. We have roughly 2-3 sessions left until the end of the academic year, and it is important that we continue to offer interesting and engaging activities for the children to participate in.

Reflection 2:

link

Reflection 3:

link 

PCF 140  

Epic Arts

learning more about the epic arts community and their disabilities, what their stories are whilst playing an active role in the service by taking on the role of communications officer and collaborating with those around me to successfully carry out fundraising events. This gave me opportunities to learn more about myself through the workshops and the weekly meetings with our service partner.

Reflection 1:
As of May 10, 2022, Epic arts continues to test my communication skills. We are currently working on designing a fundraising event for next year, and we have an idea for a carnival that high school students can participate in. Working in the communications team, we have contacted Epic arts to get their input on our idea. COVID-19 still serves as a restriction when it comes to effective communication and our team has been posed with many challenges. This required me to persevere and collaborate with other team members in order to plan this event in an organised fashion. We have been working on the carnival questionnaire and poster advertisement for the past few weeks, and this required me to be creative. I also realised i could input some of my knowledge from the business management course as advertising is part of marketing, so It was great that I could do some applied learning there.

Reflection 2:
link 

Kahaani

learn about the Kolkata GC and the kids that we are fundraising for who come from a low socioeconomic backgrounds. Help them build schools and send daily items in order to improve their living conditions and access to quality education. Meanwhile, connect with people through dance, music, and learning more about Indian culture and the significance behind traditional festivals.

Reflection 1:  

link

Reflection 2:

link