Personal Statement

How do you write a personal statement?

How do you fit yourself into this tiny statement?  To display yourself in all its quirks and flaws, its horrifying secrets and unprecedented glory?

Last year, my English teacher, Mr. Townley, opened my eyes to the contradicting and ultimately problematic traits I possess:  perfectionist & procrastinator. He never knew about them, I would always finish my assignments on time, just at the last possible moment.  He did not know until I told him.

Why?

I am still trying to figure it out.  Maybe it stems from laziness? To do things until the last possible moment?  Or maybe it is because I embrace the stress that comes along with it? The fact that I perform much better and have more creative solutions under pressure from both friends and family?  That maybe I want to prove them wrong in saying I cannot finish things in such limited time?

I was faced with my biggest fear when I was in a tour orientation for my trip to Croatia.  I stepped into a rundown building with peeling beige paints, greeted by drooping faces that have not seen the sun for far too long.  Rows of faces topped with glasses, reflecting the computer screens aimlessly, without purpose. I turned to the people who entered around me, to see if any has the same response.  Most turned and sat on the washed out red sofa.

I made a promise to myself:  I will never let myself be satisfied blending in with everyone else, to sit on a desk from nine to seven, wasting away for a quadruple-digit salary.

I would rather live in the fear of no money, without the promise of monthly salary, as long as I am living my life the way I want to.  Working at a job that I choose, not because of its stable salary or its gleaming reputations, but because I like it – a job I am willing to dedicate my life to.

Two of my aspirations are Graham Rawle and Alexander McQueen, but not just them.  The people who are willing to throw away stability in search of their dreams. They inspire me.

Growing up is like a series of bursting bubbles.  The bubbles are filled with dreams, like becoming a princess or possessing a magic wand, flying in the enchanted forest.  With every blow of birthday candle, the bubbles burst, giving space to the ever more demanding reality. The residue land further and further away, until they still to become a childhood fantasy and nothing more.

I did not know Graham Rawle until last semester, when I started an article on him.  I asked him a series of questions, to which he confirmed my beliefs of him. He went against the nasty reviews and doubtful comments and pursued writing with scissors.  He started his own style and spent ____ hours a day, achieving something he likes. He may not have necessarily liked cutting out the magazine snippets and organizing the different words.  But he was doing something unique and different, creating something no one has seen before.

The first time I saw Alexander McQueen’s clothes was during a walk next to Mandarin Oriental.  I was window shopping and was immediately captured by a leather dress in a glass case at the end of the store.  I was drawn to it like ______________. The layers were delicate, like butterfly wings. The ebony black folded into bloodred seamlessly.  I searched him up at home and ___________________.

I am not sure what I’m going to be doing 10 years from now, dreams can shift, minds can change.  Who knows? Maybe I’ll be satisfied with a normal job in the future? But right now, I will settle with the belief that there is so much more in store for me.

I like thinking and daydreaming, coming up with different ideas and unique thoughts that no one else possesses.  It feels empowering to be the only one in the world with your own thoughts. To be the only one to understand yourself, because no one else can.

I used to be a straight A* student in elementary school all through until seventh grade.  I was exposed to the possibility of so much more than simply striving for good grades and great college.  I slacked off and explored, and I was glad I did that. However, until a few months ago, I realized a dawning truth.  That if I want to be able to do something unique, I would have to have a high starting block. To graduate from a great university, so I can use my skills acquired there to pursue my dreams.

I began to listen in class and study at home.  Most of my teachers noticed the sudden change. Not because I care about grades, but because I know achieving my dreams would be so much easier and faster with a good degree.

My goal, for now, is to get rid of the habit of procrastination.  I need to focus. To strive for a great IGCSE grade, and later, an IB grade.  I will travel around in summer, and expose myself to the wonders of this world.  Due to my love for Art and English, I will also participate in writing competitions, savoring the chance to have my writings read and judged by professional writers.  I will also participate in art competitions, where I can also be free to express myself.

formal

unique

1. Introduce (strength & weakness)

influences

1. Aspirations (1~3)
  2. What led to these aspirations

don’t wanna be the same

biggest fear

1. What to do to achieve

summer program

competitions

Be First to Comment