Personal Statement (G9)

Throughout my entire life, I have been surrounded by supportive and loving people. School is all about understanding and accepting and Singapore is a very mixed community. I have lived in Singapore all my life and Personally, I have never experienced any severe forms of discrimination based on where I am from or my race and background. Whenever I would go to China, there would be the odd stare, sometimes some pointed fingers from children but that was due to me being foreign, not because of my race. That is why I feel that I have had a good experience in life so far.

I think that one thing I really need to do is have some conversations with my teachers on how to improve myself. I feel like the work I am doing now is sufficient and good but I also feel as though I could really improve if I tried a bit harder. One example of this is graphics. When I am in graphics, there are some designs that are great and others that are just mediocre, but if I just added a few things those mediocre designs could also be great.

Recently I was told by my trumpet teacher that he thinks I would be able to get a scholarship to a school with my trumpet level and if I keep improving. I think that it would be amazing if I was able to achieve this, however sometimes, there are days I do not practice because I am not organised enough to complete everything that I have wanted to complete. Thats why I not only need to learn to improve my organisation skills but also the perseverance that I practice my trumpet.
I was also told by my badminton teacher that he thought I would be able to play for the better teams, that I had the skill level and if I kept improving, I would be really good. For this, I just need to make sure that I make the most of each of the training sessions that I go to and make sure to try my best at every situation and chance I get.

I feel like what I need to do towards the end and for the rest of this year and throughout next year is to talk with my different teachers about organisation and studying/revision for exams and use the different strategies they give me.