CAS Reflection #4: Collaborative Working – Jazz Band

As with ITP, I’ve been doing Jazz Band since Grade 6, and Jazz Band has always been an activity where collaboration has been key. Working with players who have different skill sets can present itself as a challenge, but I believe the end result of us playing onstage in front of 600 people is the most rewarding result of the challenge.

Working together in Jazz Band is different from collaboration in other subjects, as it required me to listen to others and adjust my timing and playing style accordingly. Due to COVID-19, we’ve had to work in sections, meaning that all the Saxes played together, clarinets together and so on. Working in smaller groups has placed and even more important role in collaboration, as slacking off is no longer an option, and a 100% effort from all team members is required to succeed in playing any piece that our band leader may hand out to us. For the time being, working in small groups is something that will carry on for the foreseeable future, and I’ll gladly be putting in my best in group efforts like these.