CAS Reflections #6: Ethics of Choice and Action – Tech Tinkers

Rounding off my first term of Tech Tinkers, I have definitely seen our impact in the local community with our first batch of donations to St John’s elderly care facility, as well as even more donations which have come in through the e-waste recycling box.

This really made me think on the actions that the people took to consciously place their working (but old0 electronics in the e-waste bin. For some of the products that have come by us, there are items that can be sold for $50-$200, but instead, they decide to give it to us for a chance of a new life in someone else’s hands. At UWC, I believe that we’re trained to look out for others (in and out of our community) to a point where we start re-evaluating our choices of selling or buying products from around the world. UWC made a strong push towards recycling and composting, and I think that has spread across the community. This concept has now arrived at Tech Tinkers, where we deal with all the recycling needed to get phones, laptops, and desktops back up to running order so they can be used by others in the local Singaporean community.