What do you think the PM means by an ‘evolving identity’? Is yours one? What about your parents’?

Our identity is not something that is arranged to us at birth. The information we take in from our surroundings helps to mould what our identity is. I think that our identity is constantly evolving and changing based on the people we interact with, places we go to and new ideas that we encounter.  Though some aspects of our identity may be handed to us at birth (such as our ethnicity, family,) many parts of our identity have to be searched and formed using our own conscious mind.

Similar to this, Singapore’s identity was not handed to them when they gained independence from Malaysia. Singapore had to find their own identity and create a culture around it. With the ever-evolving changes in this society, a country’s identity is bound to change from generation to generation.

I believe that my identity is constantly evolving as well. Though I may have certain attributes that identify me, those attributes could be different in a year from now. Because I am still young, there are many experiences I have not yet encountered that could possibly change my identity and who I am.

In contrast to that, people who are older have less time to meet new people and experience new things. However, this does not mean that their identity has gone static and stopped evolving. I think this just means that their identity is changing at a slower pace compared to someone who is younger than them.